Atmospheric church with squatter pillars of octagonal form in south aisle. Cornish standard piers of attached shafts and hollow chamfer form can be seen in north aisle which has a north transept. This church had an earth floor as recently as 1823 which the rural dean described as ‘well sanded and remarkably clean’. Particular features to look out for include:
- Porch and south aisle, crenellated with frieze of quatrefoils, and granite ashlar. Comparable only to St Austell and probably made by same team of masons who worked there. Angels hold shields with symbols of Christ’s Passion – a small tour de force.
- Possible Norman font where John Trevisa, chaplain to Lord Berkeley, and late 14th century English translator, may have been baptised.
- Fragments of medieval stained glass
- Nice unusual and rather complex bench ends with Passion symbols, emblems of St John and St Luke and a rather fine dragon.
- Statue niches on north wall and at east end of north chapel are actually the mullion window frames of the south chapel and chancel which appear to have been largely rebuilt. There is a garishly painted angel corbel with cross on shield in the chancel. too.
- 18th century wooden hatchment-like memorial to the Flamanks, one of Cornwall’s oldest families. Thomas Flamank, a Bodmin lawyer, was one of the leaders of the 1497 Cornish rebellion.
- Tower fell down and damaged church in 1686; this tower is 1710-11 replacement.
- Slate paving, parts of which date to 1825.