St Julitta, Lanteglos-by-Camelford PL35 0BT
Map Ref SX0879382336
St Julitta’s is the mother church for the parish of Lanteglos by Camelford with Advent and is grade1 listed. English Heritage has allocated a priority Grade A for restoration as it is at immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric. The Friends of Lanteglos Church has been set up to save the church and is in the process of raising funds. (Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info)
The building is rather typical of Cornish medieval churches which have a simple and uncluttered beauty. The oldest part of the church is the north wall and transept which date from Norman and early English times and there are 15th century or early 16th century wagon roofs throughout with crenellated wall plates. The 6 bay south aisle was added in the 15th century with Perpendicular windows that contain small remnants of the original glass set in the upper tracery. Glass of a similar date can be seen in the top lights of the north chancel window. This glass was rated as among the most sophisticated and important in Cornwall by the late Christopher Brooks as it contains images of Old Testament prophets coupled with New Testament females. This sophistication may relate to the fact that this was the church for the major Duchy of Cornwall manor of Helstone.
The south porch probably dates from the 15th century and the original wagon roof with carved timbers is still in place. To the right of the main door is a niche for a Holy Water stoup. There is elaborate metal work on the door hinges and a massive handle. Above the porch entrance is a sundial dated 1719. Between 1864 and 1873 a major restoration took place under the direction of the famous architect J P St Aubyn who was the surveyor for the Middle Temple for 34 years and had a hand in restoring many churches in the south west and elsewhere. The pine pews date from this period.
The 70 foot Tower at the east end was added in the 14th or 15th century and is slightly off centre to the later nave roof. Three bells were recorded in the Edwardian inventory of 1549 but were subsequently recast in 1783 in a field near Helstone [Lake]. Four of the present ring of six are dated 1783, the remaining two 18th century bells were recast in 1883 and 1886.
The early to mid-15th century font of Pentewan stone has flamboyant carvings that reflect the unusual tracery of the East window and the long transition from Decorated to Perpendicular Gothic architecture. Samuel Wallis an early circumnavigator of the world was baptised in this font in 1728 and a family memorial is propped up at the back of the church
Outside the south porch are 4 wayside crosses that have been moved to the churchyard for safe keeping. Together with the 10th century Castle Goff stone shaft they form a scheduled monument of national significance.