Lanhydrock Parish Church
Lanhydrock Parish Church is dedicated to St. Hydroc, believed in 1478 to be a male saint and confessor; the saints day falling on 5th May.
The original church was served by a chaplain of Bodmin Priory and remained a chapel until the Dissolution of Bodmin Priory in 1539. It is possible that the chapel was then just a chancel and nave with an unbuttressed west tower of three stages. The church was enlarged in Perpendicular-style with two aisles possibly as late as c.1620. The porch still displays the original timberwork, which if dendro-dated might solve the mystery.
Sir Richard Robartes bought the Lanhydrock Estate in 1620, and a family door was positioned at the east end of the north aisle.
There is an 1808 estimate of £384-18s-4d for refurbishment of the church, involving replacement of the old oak pews with box pews of painted pine, oriented to face north/south.
A full restoration of the church was carried out in 1886-88. The chancel was extended at the east end to allow the insertion of a memorial window , and a finely carved white alabaster reredos representing the Last Supper was installed, supplied by Messrs Earp and Hobbs of Kennington. The Sanctuary was paved in mosaic and a new pulpit, priests desks , altar rail and side screen provided. The orientation reverted to east/west.
The original family crypt was positioned beneath the east end of the south aisle. It contains several members of the Carminow family , and 17th and 18th century Robartes burials, together with their chaplain and several servants. It was sealed and hidden during the 1880s work.
In addition a peal of six bells cast by John Taylors of Loughborough was installed in the tower, with two more bells added in 1892. A medieval bell inscribed to Athelstan, remains in the tower, still capable of being tolled.
The more notable features of the church are :-
- The granite cross outside the church, probably carved in the 13th century or later, with some original decoration still visible.
- The entrance porch, with original timberwork.
- The 1609 memorial to the Carminow family in the south aisle.
- The Royal Arms of James 1, placed in the north aisle by Sir Richard Robartes in 1624.
- The alabaster reredos installed during the 1880s restoration.
- The various Robartes family memorials and memorial stained glass windows , particularly those relating to Tommy Agar-Robartes.