Sited at the hub of a village which also includes one of Cornwall’s half dozen Methodist preaching pits. The fine late 16th century National Trust house of Trerice lies in this parish but the Bevills, not the Arundells were the late medieval bigwigs. Dedicated by Bishop Bronsecombe in 1259, Newlyn East went through the usual cruciform phase. A gift of a chalice and pix to the church in 1447 could mark the start of the south chapel and aisle, and this unusually retains part of the south transept.
- Excellent Norman font of Bodmin-type, with replacement shafts, of very fine quality – beasts and tree of life.
- Medieval pew ends with symbols of the Passion of Christ and heraldic beasts on top. Some of these were used as choir stalls when box pews filled the nave prior to the 1881 restoration. The screens date from then but include some fragments of the old.
- Original roof only in north transept
- Remains of late medieval catacleuse lantern cross showing Crucifixion scene, see also St Kew. The name comes from the shape of the cross head which looks like a lantern.
- Fig tree growing out of South wall.
- Plaster royal coat of arms